6/30/08

New hobbies

Hello, everyone. Mom reporting today. Yes, the four legged ones actually let in onto the blog once in a while. I thought I would share with Dave, Guide dog for the color blind, the example of the quilt squares we are making for our library quilting class. It is certainly not perfect, but for my first attempt, I am proud of it.


What do ya think, Dave? I wish the colors came out better in the picture - they are very soft but, I think, very pretty. They remind me of sherbet. I did the example to see if we could get done most of the project in the 2 hour time slot we have. I doubt that the kids will get finished, but we will gt them started enough to finish on their own - we hope. We will do all of the cutting for them, so that part will be done. All they will have to do is choose the pieces that they like and sew them together, make the "sandwich," and bind the edges. The applique will be extra if they want it.


I think I've hit on yet another new hobby with this quilting thing. I found myself buying some coffee themed pieces at the fabric store the other day and I've gotten out the huge quilt I started about 5 years ago to give it another go. I will just tie that one - it will look best and it was a very ambitious project for this beginner anyway. The panels are scenes from a medieval tapestry and the body of the quilt is flannel - great for highlighting all of the white dog hair in this house. The picture shows how I bit off more than I can chew with the project. I never do anything small!


Well, the dogs are asking to go outside, so I'd better go before I get clawed. Have a good one and stay cool!

Love, Mom

7 comments:

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Well done!!

The Daily Echo said...

Since Mom struggles with sewing on a button she is quite imprssed with your sewing projects! We'd hate to think what would happen if she decided to make a quilt. She made an elf wreath once and things got pretty intense for awhile - Woo!
ECHO

The Husky in the Window said...

Very nice. Your mom is very talented.
Husky Hugs,MayaMarie

The Army of Four said...

Woo! Those fabs are so good together! The pink and red remind me of one of my VERY favorite things in the world: watermelon!!!! Wooooo! 'Course, I like sherbet, too...
You're doing really great! You should feel great about what you're doing!!!
If Stormy lets me, I'll post some pix of a coffee-themed quilt I helped Mom make for one of my non-fur cousins!
Luv,
Dave, GDFTCB

The Army of Four said...

Hey woo guys. Check my post from Saturday! Woo!
Luv,
Dave, GDFTCB

-The Mullin Clan's Mommy- said...

Great quilt! I like the pic of Guinness standing in the pool, hawoo!

-Yur Cosi-

cookie said...

That is very well done!! Our mom likes to quilt too. Does your mom say those bad words sometimes, when she has to "start over"?
We like to get the little pieces of fabric and run around the house with them they make great toys.

Cookie and crew